Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Maybe Our Hearts Are Too Soft

I found the "White Bear" video we watched in class confusing at first, very confusing actually.  I did not get the message of why people all around were just using their phones to video the lady in need of help.  I also did not understand why these weird people in masks were always after her.  I assumed the people not helping her were just brainwashed by this higher power of people and they were after the main character now to make her one of them.

After finding out the crime this woman committed it all made since.  The fact that she is the one who videoed her boyfriend abusing and killing a young child ties directly in with the bystanders that were only videoing her, not helping her.

I do not think that "White Bear" shows an overboard of the punishment that should be done to this woman.  The fact that this murder was on a younger child gives this crime even more of a sting because of the innocence that is there when you involve a child.

I believe in the eye for and eye concept.  She should realize and know what it is like to go through what that little girl went through.  I do see where the argument can be made that the punishment should happen for the length of time the child was missing, or the length of time the crime took place.  I do however agree with the tactic of erasing her memory each time.  The erasing of her memory makes her confused and helpless... just like a child.  She does not really understand why all this is happening to her just like a child would not understand why a bad thing is happening to them, especially when they have done nothing wrong.

Making this punishment into an entertainment show put a unique twist onto the video.  I can see where the producers came from, do not we have this same thing on our TV basically now? COPS or Drug Lords, or any other show you want to replace this with, they are all the same gist as "White Bear" and I know several people, myself included, who watch those television shows.  I do not see a problem with broadcasting it public.  One reason is that it sends the message that people are not okay with crimes like this, that someone will do something about it and the public is not scared to take it into their own hands.  I also agree with the idea of letting people know that if you do horrific things like what the lady did to that little girl, there are punishments.. a punishment that seems worse than being in jail your whole life right?

I support the "White Bear" concept.  This may make me look harsh and I also understand that other factors could have been involved with the woman's decisions at the time she was videoing the child and is that really the same person and the woman running scared in the video? Maybe it is and maybe it is not, but at the same time she helped in the torture and murder of a young girl whom had a whole life ahead of her, and that cannot just be let go lightly.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the emotional aspect of your argument. It is hard to go lightly on a person who was an accomplice to the murder and kidnapping of an innocent child. However, I think it's interesting how we had so much sympathy for her in the beginning and how fast that changed. Would this anger be different towards her if it were the boyfriend being punished instead? Since, technically, he committed the act of murdering the little girl?

Unknown said...

I agree with you that we're too soft these days. People are taking advantage of this opportunity to broadcast something people will enjoy: someone being brought to justice. I don't see much difference between this and those other shows either, and maybe it'll even incentivise people to avoid crimes like these in the future.