Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

What is Justice?

What is justice, in an episode of Black Mirror called White Bear, this question is examined. The premise is that  a criminal relives this horrific sequence of event each day having her memory wiped so that she can experience it all a new the next day. This is the punishment for the crime she committed. What I cannot help to ask myself is, is this truly justice or is this cruel and unusual punishment? The first answer that comes to my mind is absolutely not in fact this is exactly what is wrong with today’s form of justice, it’s all punishment even after time has been served the punishment continues. What does she learn from this type of punishment is their really any accountability that can be established if her mind is wiped clean every night, and how long is her body or her mind going to last? I can understand that the crime was unthinkable any crime against children is, but I wonder if her mind is being wiped if she is really getting punished for the crime, because in her mind the crime does not exist. I really enjoy the way Black Mirror takes these controversial subjects such as AI or justice and make me stop to think about what is going on now around me. I guess you could say they are a wakeup call and what this episode did is make me examine todays justice system a little closer, did you know that a little above 75% of the prisoner in the system are reoffenders. This says that the system is not working as a deterrent. Did you know that it is harder for a man with a felony and college degree to get a job than a man with less than a high school diploma? The system is broken we need to be more focused on rehabilitation than punishment. I understand there are crimes out there that deserve a strict punishment but there are so many factors to look at, and our justice system is lumping all offenders into the same category. This is a cycle that is creating repeat offenders not rehabilitating. Do I know the answer no, but I know that making a woman relive a life of horror day after day with no memory of ever committing a crime is wrong? I also know that we cannot have murders out running free with no consequences. What I am saying is that there must be a better way, that I hope we can find.

No comments: