Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

"Justice" --> Death


I have been fortunate enough to have never had a family member or close friend murdered. Unfortunately, however, I have had some family members almost get murdered, all at once. I say almost, and there is an obvious distinction between getting murdered and almost getting murdered, but after learning about that terrifying night, I was ready to track down the man who threatened my family and kill him first. I wanted to watch him suffer and beg for mercy from me. I know that all sounds awful, but honestly, how many of us would instantly react in a similar way? How would we naturally react to a loved one actually being killed or tortured? Does that person even have to be related to us? Not at all. People watch the news every day and speak of what they think a murder or rapist deserves for his crime: “If I had my way I would (insert cruel and unusual punishment).”

The thing is it’s never just “a few years in jail,” or, “exile” (much less rehab and discipleship).  When we witness or hear about some awful crime someone has done, the dinner table turns into a medieval Europe judge panel. “He deserves the exact same thing, and then some.” Justice morphs into revenge, revenge into blood thirst. Today, in this country, we have “fair” and “speedy” trials. But is it only a matter of time until our society creates “justice parks” like in the film “White Bear”? Some may say no, and I personally hope we never reach that point, but one must remember that the people with power and authority in this country are human beings like us, which means that despite what they say and decide, they struggle with the similar natural thoughts we all have. If we do eventually end up like the society in “White Bear,” then it could only be expected for “ordinary” citizens to go and take part in the torture.

            The reason I say that is because, as I talked about in my very first blog post, we are so easily influenced. Some more than others, like the people depicted in the film, who were literally torturing a woman who was probably no longer human in their eyes. One need not go far back in history to support this (white supremacists, Nazi Germany, etc.). So would it be so wrong to go with your friends or family to a “justice park” and help do to a criminal the exact same thing she did to an innocent little girl? Absolutely. It might seem like justice, and perhaps in a crude, basic sense it really is. “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.” However, this accomplishes nothing except resentment on one side and a dangerous, blinding satisfaction on the other. Anger turns into revenge, revenge turns into “justice,” “justice” leads to retaliation from the other side, and before you know it you are at war. Remember that feeling you got growing up when someone you angered said “I forgive you,” or something similar, and you knew that person really meant it? That was the feeling of a bond being reattached, of love shoving guilt off your shoulders. Forgiveness is one of the most difficult things for us to give, but when it is real and given freely, it makes a bigger difference (on both sides) than pure justice. Please don’t get me wrong, people MUST learn the consequences of their actions. What I am saying though, is that just because you might not be the one carrying out justice that does NOT mean there is no justice. The society in “White Bear” seems like the consequence of a people who no longer believe in rehabilitation (which should lead to forgiveness).

I know there are horrible people in the world who commit atrocities. I’m not trying to make murder, rape, torture, and etc. seem trivial. However, except in the most extreme cases (which require great wisdom), I think it would be a good idea for us try to have a little more compassion. Instead of being so intent on ending a life with torture and death, like in “White Bear,” rehab and forgiveness can help us save one. That is justice.

(I could talk about how most people don’t see that as “politically correct”, and how our government is only getting more corrupt by the second, but that’s for another blog post.)    

“Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” – Ephesians 4:31,32

1 comment:

Nadia Tompkins said...

I agree with you one hundred percent. People might view what you said as contradicting but there is that line between vengeful and justice, and I really hope that people can understand it. But like I said, I agree ten times over with your blog!