Pages

Friday, November 25, 2016

My Thoughts on White Bear Punishment


     In the beginning of White Bear, it appeared to be a woman who really didn’t know who she was. She thought she had just tried to kill herself after waking up next to pills on the floor. She saw an image on the screens and didn’t know what they were, but she would get flashes of memories. When should would get these memories here and there, I thought we would eventually piece it together to figure out what really happened. In addition, she saw a picture of a little girl and thought it was her daughter, in which she later finds out who the girl really was. We created an attachment to the woman wondering why people were not helping her when she was be chased. I found it very strange to see people standing in the windows watching and filming.  At the time, I thought people were corrupted by the image on the screen, and that the town she lived in were just a crazy. When she finally ran into what I thought was normal people, I wondered why they tried to hurt them also. At the time, I thought that maybe they had something in common with her in why they were being chased too.
     Later, we find out that she committed a horrible crime. She and her fiancé kidnapped a little girl and he killed her. She filmed everything as it was happening, so that is why the people were watching and filming her. All of this was an act, and they wanted her to be afraid and confused. They continued to do this over and over. People were entertained by this, and they participated by going to the White Bear place like she was an animal. I agree that what she did was terrible, but people can change if we give them space to do so. I don’t agree with punishing her like that repeatedly. I feel as though it should have been one day, and put her in jail. If people commit crimes like that, I think they should get a long sentence in jail, or give them life.

     The people thought what she did was wrong, but by them doing the same thing to an extent it doesn’t make it better. You shouldn’t treat someone badly because they did it to someone else. Two wrongs does not make a right. Although they didn’t kill her, they all found it entertaining to torture her psychologically. I feel like they could have found another way to punish her that didn’t involve them looking bad also. Moreover, I do understand why they chose to film her, but I don’t think they should “pay her back.”

No comments: