Pages

Monday, December 4, 2017

Breathaway

     This was an interesting project to say the least. At first I had the feeling like we were going to hear another 50 presentation about how to prevent deaths, due to drunk driving. I was right. Their idea was to have the air-vents have the ability to scan someone's BAC level and would not permit them to drive if they were legally intoxicated. While the group was pitching their idea it sounded interesting, but soon came to realize that there were quite a bit of flaws. One of the first things that was brought up was that their idea would only work with Bluetooth enabled vehicles. Now I know that Bluetooth cars are starting a trend nowadays, but last year I was driving a 2003 Taurus, which as you can imagine did not have Bluetooth. For example, if I was an alcoholic then I would just have to drive a car that did not have Bluetooth and I could just drive whenever I want, because the car would always start.


     The next issue I had was, "how would the air-vents be able to scan only the passenger's breath only?" The idea is there, but I do not see how the product could be accurately produced. Another issue that comes up with this presentation was the originality of the idea. Now I know it is hard to come up with a brand new, multimillion dollar idea, but the idea that the group presented on already seemed to be an idea from an actual company, who is actually developing this idea as we speak. Now it is not like I know for a fact that this group's idea was not 100% original. The reason I suspect it is not original is, because they found a video online describing in great detail the idea that their project was based upon and I believe that it was not an original video. Now if they did create the video that they used in their presentation then I was extremely impressed, because it was cool. Again, I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but during their presentation one of the team members stated that, after the video was played, "this company had the same idea that we had." Now this confirms that the idea was not 100% original, but still was an okay presentation with the attempt of solving a real world issue that effects families every day.

No comments: