Pages

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Heat Guard review

On Wednesday November 29th, the second group in the 12 o'clock section of Philosophy presented their project titled Heat Guard. Their project generally consisted of a technological invention that will help prevent the unnecessary death of children in severely heated vehicles. The initial prototype would be a car seat that could blu tooth connect to the driver's phone or car itself and notify the driver if the temperature became too hot within the vehicle. Then eventually the prototype could evolve into a product that would be able to directly connect to the vehicle itself; of course, this would take place with the progression of the technology of vehicles themselves.

Though I very much enjoyed the presentation and thought the concept itself was well thought out and interesting, I did have a few minor concerns. First, how would the seat know if a child was in the vehicle? If the temperature was rising in the vehicle but there was no child, would the car alarm still go off or would your phone still receive alerts? I am sure this is a relatively simple fix; nonetheless, I am not sure this issue was addressed during the presentation and I was curious about it. 

Lastly, before I state any criticism, please allow me to re emphasize that I thought the presentation was well put together and that each presenter presented well and with enthusiasm. Overall, a great presentation! Nonetheless, my concern or rather my question is how does this project address a moral issue? Surely the amount of parents who intentionally leave their children in hot vehicles is small; furthermore, wouldn't the invention be quite useless to these parents since they put the children in the vehicle in the first place?  Once more, I think the idea itself is a great one, I simply just do not see how this invention addresses a moral issue that society is struggling with. Perhaps a little more explaining or a statement would help clear this question of mine. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see if this invention comes around in our lifetimes. 

No comments: