Pages

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Stop DUI's

Both Safestreet and Breathaway had interesting ways in trying to fix one problem. Safestreet make you take a test before starting your car to make sure that no one would drive intoxicated. The engine is paired up with your phone via Bluetooth to start and stop your engine. Someone in class made it clear that to easily bypass this, you would just need to turn off your Bluetooth. Duh. If anyone had a drunk driving problem and are constantly driving while under the influence, they can figure that they could just easily turn off bluetooth,hop in their car and start it. Then, if they wanted to listen to their jams while driving, they could easily just turn on their Bluetooth. I am sure the engine would not cut off while driving because the test was not taken. This is assuming that the drunk driver is somewhat intelligent enough to figure it out.

Let’s say that I have this app. I am rushing in the morning, like I usually do, then I would be extremely annoyed having to take this test in order to start my car. Then, like I do with most apps that annoy me, I would delete it. I am smart enough not to drink and drive, but I see this working for someone that might make poor decisions like that.

Breathaway seemed more technological. I see this being mandated by the courts to someone with a lot of DUI’s. The ones that are in some cars are bulky so to have one that goes unnoticed but works seems smart. As Dr. J noted in class, if they are partnered up with insurance companies, I see the insurance companies wanting that private information recorded by the app to use against their clients. They’re also evil.

Between the two, Breathaway would work better for me (not that I drive drunk) because I don’t have to put much effort to it. I just breathe and it starts if I am good to drive that great! This could be something that can be patented and sold to a lot of car manufacturing companies to prevent drunk drivig all over the world. Cars are expensive as it is, why not add a feature that could save lives?

No comments: