Pages

Monday, December 4, 2017

Food Donations

     When group 4 presented today, I was 100% relieved that it was not about DUI's and the number of people that die every year due to drunk driving. Now I am not saying that drunk driving deaths are unimportant, but was just happy to hear about another issue in today's day and age. I enjoyed the topic a lot, because I know that world hunger is real and I see that every day when I head back to CBU from work. The majority of nights, as I am about to turn onto East Parkway, I always see some people with a cardboard sign asking for money. It always makes me feel bad whenever I see them, but I do not give them any money, because of two reasons. The first reason, is because I do not know them and it is late at night and I worry about my safety. The second reason is that I have no idea what they will buy with the couple of bucks that I give them, because if I find out that they bought cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol, then that would make me feel even worse. So I am happy that I can help the less fortunate in a way that would be safe for both parties.


     So at the beginning the idea sounded really cool and I thought that it was a well thought out project. Then they introduced the G.E.G to the class. The G.E.G was going to be designed in order for everyday families to scan their grocery receipt and it would then sync to the phones, in which a list would be made with all the groceries that were just purchase, in addition to their individual expiration dates. The app would later be used in order for a driver to come to your house and take your unwanted/almost expired food, and bring them to a food bank, in order for hungry people to enjoy a meal instead of it being thrown away.


     Now that's a cool idea, except the app cost $20. Now I know that this app is mainly targeting adults around our parent's ages, but I do not believe anybody will buy the app. For example, since I am a college student I therefore do not go grocery shopping on a weekly basis, and therefore do not buy a lot of food per trip. Now I know the $20 app will tell me when my food is about to expire, but I can just look at the expiration dates myself. Even though it is 2017, almost 2018, the entire world relies on technology for every single thing. I feel like checking the expiration date on food can be done just by looking at the expiration dates before purchasing certain food. It is that simple. So I believe the heart was there to help donate food to the hungry, but I do not believe the execution was the best that it could have been. Overall, I felt like it was a good project that just needs to be tweaked.


    

No comments: