Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

Catfish, doesn't give you a pass in my books

  I don't know if anyone else thought the same as me, but I personally thought that the documentary felt staged and or forced? I mean I see the point of it--you can't trust what's behind the screen if you can't see it, people can copy bios and save images, be wary etc etc etc, it's the talk we were all given, it's the talk we are continuously given, it's the talk that is always given, so what's new? Maybe if I had watched the documentary in the same year it came out, I would feel differently, but it feels forced. As the documentary progressed, I didn't find myself becoming invested, I just found myself with the same set of questions in mind. Why didn't he google Abby from the very moment he received the first box? I mean they said she was basically a prodigious art child that was selling paintings (some at thousands), and hosting galleries at a really young age and he didn't google her? She was like between 8-10 years old and living the successful artist dream supposedly, and that was not enough to pique his interest and lead to him searching her up? If she was real, there would be at least a handful of articles on her? Maybe this is just my way of thinking because I was raised actually knowing to be wary of what I see either in real life or online, but I personally would have looked into the person that suddenly started sending me free art, especially if she was so successful. Moreover, Abby's supposed family members all suddenly decide to add him on Facebook? As Edna says, coincidence? I think not. Isn't one of the rules to actual close online friendships that you at one point skype or facetime? I know that's kind of an idea for before you meet someone from online, but doesn't it also apply to serious online friendships? Like besides talking on the phone, face to face even via digital screen is an idea if you want to know if someone is real? But asides my questioning of the documentary realness, even though Niev was ‘catfished,’ I don’t think what he did-filming Angela, exposing her in film without asking her before he actually started filming, and the whole ‘speak to me as if you were Megan’ was right either. I get it, he was ‘hurt,’ he was caught in some complicated web of lies, he was technically manipulated, but that doesn’t give him the excuse to do what he did? Just because someone did something to you, doesn't necessarily mean you have a pass to return the favor? This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think what he did to Angela was right.


No comments: