Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Catfishin’

In the movie Catfish we follow Nev, a young photographer, and his brother Rel. Through what seems to be an innocent discussion about photos and paintings between Abby and Nev. in the beginning Abby will maje paints for Nev out of photos he takes. Nev has multiple phone conversations with Abby’s mother and eventually a young woman named Megan. Megan a Nev eventually start talking as if they have feelings fir each other and it seems Nev does develop some. Eventually Nev and his brother start to get a bad feeling about what’s going on and decide to investigate this family further. The brothers have a job in Colorado and decide to stop by the family’s house on their way home. They find out Megan’s farm was not actually her farm, that Abby doesn’t do the paintings, they also find out in a shocking turn of events all of the Facebook accounts connected with Megan’s are fake and that the mother has been running all of them and lying to Nev this entire time. 1500 messages worth of lies. I believe the moral issue in this is the dishonesty behind what was going on. Abby’s mother lied to Nev and made him believe there was this one person who was severely interested in him. Which made him in my opinion buy a lot of these paintings to impress the older sister and the family
Some like this started to happen to me, I was getting Facebook messages from someone I didn’t know and a friend recognized the pictures but they didn’t fit the name and we found and notified the real person that someone was using her photos. The person was sending increasingly more serious messages until I asked why whoever it was, was lying to me. This person tried to get me to go different places. Several of my friends and I were hanging out at the mall, this person said they were going to meet me there my friend used my phone to ask where they were and they had ‘gotten into a car wreck and had to go to the hospital’ was the reply I got the next day. I asked for proof none was provided. My friends knew about what was going on and they wanted to see if the person was real or fake just as bad as I did. I didn’t develop feelings for this person and I didn’t get trapped in messaging this person either. I still think it was a friend from high school pranking me but I never found out who it was though. I eventually just blocked and reported whoever it was the profile and the friends profiles all looked real but after seeing this I’m starting to wonder if the person who was doing this actually made all of them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's frightening that you have encountered "catfishing" first hand. It seems as if all these catfishers will do anything to keep the other person intrigued. A car accident puts you in the situation of offering sympathy. Im glad you saw through the lies and put an end to this catfisher.

Michael Waldrup said...

Sorry to hear that. This happens far too often and with social media becoming more popular by the day, it is becoming more of a concern. It's crazy the lies people will say just to cover up the lie they are themselves. I'm glad you caught the person in their lies before you got hooked like Nev did.