Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

They're Most Likely Lying

I have watched episodes of the t.v. show Catfish before. There is a sense of me that is amazed when people think that the person they are talking to is the real person. Even when all signs point to them not being the person whose photos they use. If a person is reluctant to video chat, or meet in person if you were to visit them, then they are most likely not the person in the photo. Of course, there is a chance that they could be that and they’re just extremely shy or there’s an aspect of themselves that they haven’t told the other person about. Most of them are lying though.

Even if I have watched the show Catfish, I never watched the documentary that depicted Nev’s online relationship. If anything, I feel so much compassion for him because the girl went to extreme lengths to make him believe that she was real. Going as far as to send him songs of other people singing and sticking by the lie when confronted by Nev. “How can this guy ever trust anyone again?” I asked myself throughout the documentary. He seemed to have really like her. I can only imagine how he felt when he realized that the girl he felt deep feelings for wasn’t real. It’s all a lie! Yeah, her feelings for him might be real but when literally everything else is a lie, how could he look pass that?

I felt more compassion for Nev than I do for the people on their show. It sounds bad but when I think about it, it makes sense. The documentary is what got people aware of what catfishing was. It was one of the first cases that documented a guy falling for a girl online but realizing that it’s not her. It took the audience along the journey of meeting her, bonding with her, falling for her and then slapping us in the face by showing us that she’s lying about who she is.


As for the people who go on the show, they should know the warning signs on whether or not they are being catfished. Yet some people don’t want to believe that someone whom have they shared personal stories to are lying to them. Maybe they just want closure from the other person and know that they are being catfished. Either way, I enjoyed the documentary. 

No comments: