Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

Catfish was unnecessary

            I was not expecting what I saw during the Catfish movie we watched in class. During the movie, I was expecting the woman to act all shocked and regretful when she was caught but that did not happen. I believed the young girl really could draw and was very artistic until she said the paintings in her room were done by her mother. At this point, I was confused because these paintings looked just like the ones advertised all over town. I tried to be upset with Abby’s mother for the lies and deceit she expressed to the boys but seeing the situation she was forced to live in, I could not. Abby’s mother spent all of her time caring for two disabled sons that aren’t even hers by blood. Abby’s mother does not really have her own life, and she wanted to create one for herself online. She knew her older daughter was not using her own accounts so she used that as her entrance into the online world. With the number of accounts she held, I knew Abby’s mother wanted to trap someone and trick them. My first reaction to her catfishing Nev is that she had nothing better to do but I see the truth is she just wanted attention and freedom from her life at the time. The fact that Nev and his brother planned to expose Abby’s family upset me. I understood that he had enjoyed his new relationship with Meghan until he found out the truth but I did not think he needed to broadcast everything and everyone’s reactions to the world. I found it creepy how they showed up on the family’s doorstep asking questions and being very nosey. Nev spent too much time after he knew the truth building a bond and trying to get close to the family. Once he knew he was being catfished, Nev should have exposed the truth instead of holding on to it and trying to make a big deal of it later on.
            All in all, Catfish upset me. Nev should not have exposed that family in the way he did. Abby’s mother also should not have focused on and been infatuated with a guy younger than herself. If Abby’s mother really wanted the attention and to live life online, she should not have involved her daughters in her schemes adding blame to them even though they were innocent.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I partially agree with you about catfishing not being necessary. I feel like people like that should be exposed, but it should be more private because you never know how the situation could end up. In this situation, it was wrong for them to televise what went on. It felt wrong even watching it.