Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

Sorry: Capitalism Part Two

Similar to my concerns with the first Black Mirror episode, I was worried about the grieving family.  The family of the little girl that was murdered was hardly mentioned in the entire episode. Instead, it focused on the little girl's murderer. I understand that the theme of the episode was focused on the idea of giving the murderer what she deserved, but the "justice park" in my eyes failed to give justice to the victims.

This justice park served a cruel and extensive punishment to Victoria. In doing so, they publicized the story of the murdered little girl. Operating this park on a daily basis also replayed the family's tragedy over and over again. The episode does not say whether the family supported the justice park idea or not. If I had to guess, I would say that the family probably supported the idea at first, but then soon decided it was too painful for them. Their daughter's murder was definitely getting a worthy punishment for her crime, but they were forced to live with the fact that people paid money to visit a park that ultimately desensitized them to a little girl's murder.

Again, similar to my blog post on Be Right Back, the capitalism of this park is wildly unsettling. Besides the family not being able to properly grieve and most past the death of their daughter, I am convinced that they see zero of the profits made at the park. If the creators of White Bear Justice Park were going to use these people's story, then they should definitely give them a sizable amount of the profits they made.


Neither of these points follow the theme that the creators of this episode presented. However, when watching this conclusion to the show, these are the thoughts that my mind immediately went to. As the directors of this episode aimed to do, I most definitely sympathized with Victoria. My final opinion of the episode, after way too much debate with myself, is that the punishment was way too intense for the crime. At first I felt guilty for feeling this way because I felt as if I was belittling, almost dismissing, what happened to the little girl. However, upon more thought I realized that finding injustice in the way these people treated Victoria in no way justified what happened to the little girl. In trying to obtain justice for the victims, injustice was served to Victoria, which I do not believe should ever be the goal of a legal system.

No comments: