Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Catfish

Catfish was not what I had expected to watch in this class. But once the film was done, I could understand why. The woman catfished this man and I, for one, wanted her to be caught and to be exposed. However, once I saw the situation the woman was in, I could not help but feel bad for her even though she lied to this man. I have never seen the show before but I had assumed the guy was a douchebag who exposed other people's business. I never knew he had gone through it. The beginning of the film, I had already known what to expect because the movie is literally called "catfish." But it did not stop me from feeling bad for the guy who was being catfished. Since our generation grew up with technology, we are often a little more insightful to the dangers of being catfished. But this was such an extreme case. The woman had multiple personas and created an entire universe for this man. I still feel like the woman should have been exposed way earlier than she was. She used her two daughters to lie to a random man. She led a double life while deceiving a man who was living halfway across the country. But as I stated earlier, you could not help but feel bad for her. She is not happy with her life and she feels like her life was cut short by marriage. Does this justify her actions? I don't believe so. The involvement of her children showed how far she was willing to go for a fake online relationship. The fact that the man also was not furious with her and played along showed that he also felt bad for her. His friends were a bit scared however he knew the woman to a certain extent despite her not being "Megan." Then when everything was out in the open and she was painting him, he asked her to do the "Megan" voice. It was at this point that the "relationship" had messed both of them up. He saw her and her family. This made her more of a human than simply someone who had catfished him. He saw a good mother who took complete care of her husband's children while also taking care of her own daughter. She had put their needs before her desires in life such as painting or dancing. "Megan" had been the persona she wished she had chased after rather than settling down into her marriage.

No comments: