Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

White Bear

After watching the episode entitled, White Bear, in the Netflix series Black Mirror, I was left confused and also a little bit frightened. In the beginning, I thought that the main character, Victoria, was locked away in an asylum because she had tried to kill herself. The house was designed to look like it was an everyday setting with pictures of what I assumed was her daughter and husband. What confused me was how neat and tidy the house was. I thought that if she had been living there because of mental problems that the house would look a little messier and that she would have someone living with her and helping her stay on schedule.

As the episode went on, I started questioning the plot of the episode. I found it strange that people were allowed to video her and not say anything to her, it made me feel like she was in an experiment for the asylum; however, when the crazy people starting approaching her with guns and what looked like a meat cutter, I was instantly drawn in. I wanted to learn more about why these people were chasing her and what the importance of shutting off the transmitters were. It made me question the trust and loyalty that she put in to these people who she thought were "helping her."

When the episode is explained at the end, I was caught completely by surprise for two reasons. The first being why would they torture someone like this on a daily basis by making her not only relive this nightmare every day, but performing electroshock to make her forget all that she knows. The second reason I was shocked was because of the crime. It was never revealed if she and her fiancé couldn't have a child together or why they kidnapped her. It left me wondering did the parents of the little girl ask for the most brutal consequence be that she lives her life through  this experience. Overall, I really enjoyed the episode and thought it was very well thought out.

No comments: