Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

Catfish: The Movie


The movie “Catfish” was one that I found to be interesting. I believe that the only real question here is, when is it okay to Catfish? My reply would be never, because regardless the person would be deceiving another person, which is morally wrong in itself.  While watching the movie, I found myself becoming emotionally involved. I was actually wanting “Megan”” to be “Megan.” Which would explain my anger towards Angela when it was revealed that she was indeed “Megan.” I believe that I was more angered by the fact that she continued to deceive him while he was there and the truth was actually being reviled, especially when she lied about having cancer (that’s just something you absolutely don’t lie about and it was an unnecessary lie). I did notice that when Niv went to Angela’s house that I began to sympathize with her. It was her situation and the fact that she has to sacrifice so much that made me sympathetic. It still does not excuse her behavior, but it certainly allowed me to understand her more. I feel that she not only lies to Niv and her husband, but she often lies to herself. I believe that she has convinced herself that she cannot do anything and that she is trapped; however, the fact that she had become so dependent on her husband prevented her from seeing her true potential, and her husband does not help the situation at all. I recognize that her husband is a realist, but that does not excuse the way he speaks to her in regards to the ultimatum he gave her. He specifically stated that “She could not have it all.” This one statement demonstrates a choice between family and her dreams, and of course she would choose her family at her age. I appreciate the fact that Angela demonstrated change at the end of the film. I feel like I cannot completely fault Angela in the situation, however. I feel that Niv should demonstrate some responsibility in this scenario, as well. I do not think he did anything particularly wrong other than going to another person’s home unannounced, but I feel that he definitely should have protected his heart better. I find that it was immoral of him to film the process without her knowledge. He revealed deep and intimate conversations between himself and “Megan” without her prior knowledge. He only received her “okay” after the fact which is wrong in my book. I am happy that the ending ended the way it did and that there was no leftover hostility.

No comments: