Pages

Monday, May 2, 2016

Cellective meats

I really enjoyed this presentation. The meat industry has become overly cruel as the beef and poultry marked has exploded nation-wide. I wasn't aware of this pressing issue until high school, when I watched a documentary on Tyson chicken. Over 2 million chicken are slaughtered everyday for human consumption. I like how the group opened up their presentation with a video that spread the message to the class room. I was surprised when they said that the main source of production came from the Henrietta lax cells. They're derived from cervical cancer cells, so I'm wondering if after they're integrated into the meat tissue if they have cancerous risks to the body. I agreed with Doctor J when she said they needed to include the process of cell culture on their website. I'm still hesitant about their product actually taking off due to the fact that their original burgers cost $300,000 to produce a single burger. Although, they said their main focus wouldn't be burgers or steak, they wouldn't be able to overtake the meat industry without selling these products. In class, I told about a similar experiment that used plants to synthesize the exact same flavor as a steak. If they were to combine both of these ideas, I feel like they would have a better chance of lowering their average cost per burger and taking a shot at conquering companies like Tyson. The abomination that is Tyson corporation needs to be stopped. Their abuse and hormone stimulation is changing chicken into an entirely different species. It's incredible that we have protective acts on certain animals just because their remaining population is low, but we have almost no standards to regular life when we deal with animals in excess population. Hopefully, this innovate new take on meat can finally put an end to the abuse and neglect of these poor creatures. The food industry is I don't see a consumer market where people but this more expensive pseudo meat over the real thing. Another thing that confused me was why they choose the sausage. The reason behind meat ball production made sense, but the sausage would be too hard to make because they'd also have to create an organic casing for the meat. Over all, the presentation was done well, but my only problem with it was that I wish David spoke more. It would've made the presentation much more even all around. But in the end, all that matters is the effort people take in a means to end animal cruelty and this is a step in the right direction.

No comments: