Pages

Monday, May 2, 2016

Stress Less for the Test

        As a student of the sciences, I am no stranger to stress. The amount of information I pour over in preparation for each test in addition to the extracurricular activity expectations can place a great burden on my psyche. As students, we are subjected to obscene levels of stress due to the expectations placed on us and the workload that we may have to endure. We're young, and we're trying to find our place in the world. Endless streams of exams and friend/family problems make it difficult to develop a healthy mentality during this critical point in our lives. So how do we cope with these issues? How do we manage to stress less?
        Let's be honest, procrastination is our favorite pastime as college students. The allure of waiting until tomorrow to worry about our problems is intoxicating, but we know that it will hurt us in the end. I may watch some funny videos or catch up on some shows as a distraction, but I always know all too well that doing so will accumulate more stress come tomorrow. In this respect, I am unsure of Stress Less's ability to address the root of the problem, rather than the symptoms. In many cases it may be helpful to be directed to leisurely activities or soothing music to help one take his/her mind off of stress. However, it is entirely contingent on which type of stress he/she is experiencing that determines whether or not these distractions will ultimately prove useful. If I am currently feeling demotivated because I am waiting to hear back about a job application, then it may do me some good to take a hike or visit a low-key coffee shop. However, if an exam is coming up tomorrow, then the last thing I need is my phone telling me about the latest funny cat video.
        This is not at all to say that this app is a bad thing. In fact, there are some cases where finding a new and exciting activity or hobby may in fact help motivate someone to face their stress and overcome it head-on. We all have moments where we feel downtrodden by the monotony of everyday life, and we feel like we need something else in our lives to brighten our day and give us the strength to fulfill our obligations. This is why the app is designed to give you options based on what the user feels could best benefit him/her at that particular moment. However, I think that we should consider people's inclination to procrastinate, and thus implement some extra features in the app where the user can set certain times where the app goes in "motivational mode" rather than "stress-relief mode." That may be straying a bit far from its intended design, but I feel like it could address some problems people might have with stress to a more permanent effect.

No comments: