Pages

Monday, April 30, 2018

2nd WIn

The second wind presentation was one of my favorites out of the class and I believe with enough work and effort, it could be a real thing to help homeless people not just around Memphis, but nationwide. I know everyday that I drive from my house to campus, I see at least one homeless person usually sitting on a street corner or as I get off/on the interstate begging for anything to help them get by another day. It really is disheartening to see and I try to help with anything I can whether it be spare change, snacks, money or just some kind words. Some of these people are our veterans who fought and risked their lives for the freedom or you and me and I know they deserve more. The second wind program I believe is well thought system that, with a little work, can be great. I say this because it seems to be the case that the program can get jobs and help homeless people both manage and find jobs along with places to stay, but not live. The system overlooks the problem with finding homeless people housing so that they can get a job. The most major problem with people finding jobs are housing. You have to have an address to get employed, otherwise what's the point? Other than that, the idea was extremely nice, well though out and could prove to be beneficial to Memphis area along with places worldwide. The program seems heavily dependent on sponsors and very intricate to say the least. As for the presentation, the group was quite knowledgeable of the subject and a lot of research was done to make this a reality. The video of the homeless couple on S. Parkway helped get a visual interpretation of what homelessness is and a story of a couple in Memphis living it and how the program they have could help them intensely. The group seemed to have thought out what everyone was going to say along with all the avenues on how the system would work except for the finding a home part, but overall was really nice. I feel that this idea tackles a huge and growing issue around America as the poverty rate increases drastically in Memphis, and all around with unemployment still high. This system with little more productivity and research on the behave of the group to find or introduce programs that could also help homeless people finds jobs along with housing could be a million dollar idea that could greater help this country in both dropping unemployment rates and helping people who have fallen have a second wind.

No comments: