Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018

KeCa review

I really liked the project KeepCalm or KeCa for short. It was really original and overall a well presented project from start to finish. The presentation begins with an introduction of what anxiety really is and lists many different types of it. They make sure to place a distinction between everyday anxiety that I am sure many people have and an actual anxiety disorder that must be diagnosed by a professional. They also explain the difference between introverts and extroverts. I think it was interesting that people who are extroverted can also experience anxiety and have anxiety disorders. I guess, like most people, I assumed that people with anxiety disorders are usually introverted. They go on to elaborate on some of the symptoms of anxiety and even include a bit of history about anxiety disorders. I found it surprising that anxiety disorders were not really recognized until the 80's and it is just recently that people are becoming more aware of anxiety disorders and how to properly treat them which is where this app comes through.

KeCa is a self help app that helps people manage their social anxiety by accomplishing small tasks and building on them. Their mission statement "Fortify not fix" really fits well with their project because they are trying to make people stronger not just fix them as if they are broken. The app has several features that I really liked and I think would really help a person with social anxiety. The first feature mentioned was "My journal" which allows the user to write about their day and stores it on the app. Another feature is the "Chill out mix" which includes pre-made playlists that is supposed to help a person be calm. This feature is flexible, however, because if you do not like these playlists, you can create your own. The next feature this app includes is a survey for the users to fill out which includes questions about your age, gender, and anxiety. I think this helps the app become more personalized for each user. The main feature of the app is the ability to create tasks for yourself--no matter how small-- and be able to complete them. I think this idea is awesome because it lets the person set their own pace and not feel pressured to do anything. However, one of my favorite features in this app is the ability for someone with anxiety to be able to speak to someone for help. When they demonstrated it using a classmate, I thought it was really neat. The end of the presentation included the Business plan which all sounded very realistic and reasonable.

Overall, I really, really liked this project. I think it has so much potential and could actually be a real app that helps people with anxiety disorders. I did not really see many flaws in their presentation. They all spoke very well, did not read from the slides, and seemed very knowledgeable about their subject!

1 comment:

Benjamin Garrett said...

I think if KeCa was a real app, it's definitely one that has the potential to be widely used. Out of all the presentations I saw, this is one of the few that I could see being real and effective.