Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018


Food waste is a huge problem in our society. And it's a problem only Oscar the Grouch could love. The key to this problem: Waste Reduction. Now how exactly can we do this? This group, 901 Eats plans to tackle this problem here in Memphis and how it could benefit other aspects of Memphis.

Their mission statement: duty for the sake of duty. This group has a nonprofit organization that advocates for the awareness of how much food is being wasted. They wish to reduce food waste in the Memphis are. Now, how exactly do they plan to do this? They plan to increase waste reduction by donating leftover food to food banks and shelters to feed the people in need. The group truly believes that everyone deserves the basic human right  of food.

The group starts off by defining what a nonprofit organization is and some data facts on food wasting. For example, I was shocked to find out that around 40 % of all produce in the U.S is thrown away. That is truly astonishing, and I am very happy to see a group wanting to focus on reducing that percentage.  Now as we all now, Memphis has a homelessness issue here as well. It isn't just an U.S issue. It also affects Memphis directly. The group then goes into defining some of the factors of homelessness. Such as: poverty, lack of affordable housing, job loss, lack of health care (Hopefully iCare can help with this in the future :) ), mental illness, substance abuse, and domestic violence.


So here is the groups' solution: form a nonprofit and then purchase a truck with refrigeration. With these two main things, this group hopes to reduce food waste by also aiding those in need in our community. The group then provides images of a truck to give the class a visual .I feel like this is a wonderful idea.

I also enjoyed how the group already planned ways to get funding for this idea. This shows that the group truly thought about their future and see this working.

My question is, how big would 901Eats be? Would it just be one truck around Memphis or would it be several of them. And where would be the best headquarters for this organization? Or maybe this organization could partner with UberEATS? I am not sure, but it is definitely an idea to look into.

All I know is, this presentation has made me realize just how lucky I am to have food so readily available. I'll think twice before I throw away all of my food.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel like food waste is a hunger problem though to me this project tackles the problem of world hunger rather than food waste.