Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Group #2 - Second Win

The second group did well in tackling a a very pervasive problem not only in our city but all across the planet. Homelessness is an issue I see every day that I drive to school, be it on Sam Cooper and East Parkway, Poplar and East Parkway, or wherever else, and it's nice to hear what they had in mind with solving it. Well, I say solve it. They did kinda forget about the primary problem homeless people have: being homeless. Instead I think the problem could be seen as the homeless person's inability to work/get and keep a job.

The system they threw together was well thought out enough that while typing this I feel like saying they just threw it together does it a disservice.  I have a personal belief in the right to work. I think that people should always be given a chance to have a job, be it in a factory or in an office. That being said, a system like this (possibly given to homeless shelters [like Bradley suggested] instead of Second Win being their own thing) could be great if done properly. I work at a factory, and in that factory with me are a lot of people, either going through rehabilitation, are fresh out of jail, or previously homeless. I mean, they work in a factory, which isn't the most fulfilling job imaginable, but regardless I think that it's great that the program they're in (Safe Harbor) can get them jobs and help them keep them for as long as they've had them. That's better than a lot of other people I know. I feel that more systems like that would do great for the homeless, poor and struggling community. Second Win would be one of those systems.

As for the presentation itself, it was done quite well. All of the group members had equal parts in speaking, and were familiar with the project. No one felt like they were a slacker hiding behind their peers during questions or forgetting their parts when their slide came up. The introduction of the problem was very informative, especially for a topic we all think we knew well. They chose good videos and took the assignment seriously. They fumbled a little bit with the questions, but on the other hand took suggestions very well.

No comments: