Pages

Friday, April 27, 2018

Pantry Vending - Wowzers

Pantry Vending really stuck with me because I come from a home where this type of vending machine would be really helpful. Growing up my brother and I stayed with a single father. We also had a dog which did not seem as though it would take away from finances as much when we first got him, but dog food is expensive ( and he ate A LOT so it was rough). My dad did not earn that much. We lived on food stamps and his checks for a couple of years until we were cut off because he “made too much. “ I remember being so angry, confused, and worried because even though they SAY he made too much it was only about a dollar over the amount he needed to make to qualify. It was a struggle, and there were many nights when we only had canned beans and rice. As delicious as beans and rice is , it was very hard sometimes to live like that. I think that it was very brave and important for the group to focus on this topic and to share their personal testimonies because people do not realize how life changing it is to suddenly not have enough of anything, especially food. Even though my family and I made it through that, there are some families who aren’t as fortunate, so it is really important that the community does what it can to support its people. I also really liked their presentation style. It seemed as though the members had amazing chemistry. I appreciate a well rehearsed presentation because sitting through presentations where you can tell that the group does not care about what they are speaking on is really irritating.( Bravo to you guys for that if you’re reading!) The last thing I have to say is that I think you guys might want to work with the Urban Bike Food Ministry. The Urban Bike Food Ministry is a church based organization that literally makes hundreds of burritos and and then rides on bikes to give them to the homeless that are on their designated routes. I worked with them during September of Service, and it was truly life changing. Riding the bikes were so peaceful, and it was also safe. It is very humbling to see how strong the people are that you serve despite their situations. It also makes you really assess your own life because you get to hear stories of how people’s lives can fall apart just from one mistake. In my opinion, it makes you ask yourself - what it REALLY is that you want to do, because some of these people were lawyers and police officers at some point.. All good paying jobs, and all just as easy to lose.

No comments: