Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018

An App for Anxiety?

KeCa is an app that it geared towards helping those who suffer from social anxiety. One of the things I learned from this presentation was that anxiety is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States. One of the most prevalent types of anxiety is social anxiety which is a fear of being judged negatively in social settings. Common triggers of social anxiety include, meeting an authoritative figure, being introduced to people, being teased by others, and being the center of attention. Social anxiety tends to be more common amongst millennials especially those who are in college. This makes a lot of sense because a lot of people express that college is where you want to be the most social; everyone expects you to join extracurricular activities, get good grades, have a job, and have a good social life. All of these things become very stressful and a bit much for the average college student to handle. The app KeCa aims to encourage individuals with social anxiety to sort of face their fears by providing a number of small tasks they can complete on their own timing. On the app, users can make an account and have the ability to create a journal. This feature allows you to post or write about your day. The app also allows its users to listen to pre-made playlists with songs that have been proven to ease anxiety as well as provides them with the option to upload their own playlists. In addition, there is a survey feature which one can take and based on how you answer those questions, the app will give you tasks to complete. KeCa also provides a helpful links section which includes videos about social anxiety. I feel as though this app would help a lot of people, and I can definitely see myself downloading this app because I can kind of be a loner at times. I find myself very scared to talk to new people or spark conversations with others because of what they might think of me or how I may come off to them. A lot of people pressure me into being more social, but the idea of it frightens me a bit, so I feel that downloading an app like this and having the list of tasks that can help me with my social capabilities would help me out tremendously! I feel that this app is such great idea because it gives people with social anxiety an outlet to express themselves because not a lot of people who suffer from social anxiety feel comfortable taking to others about it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I honestly do believe this app could help lots of people. I could see this technology taking off and being used on a daily by everyday people.

Unknown said...

KeCa would a very useful app that will help combat anxiety disorder. they way it was present truly demonstrated how huge of an impact this app can do. The Journal tab of the app would help people relief their thoughts.