Pages

Monday, April 30, 2018

Cultured Cooking

The project, Cultured Cooking was actually a good project that really caught my attention, and I am not saying that because of the food that was provided. The idea of having people become exposed to different cultures while helping those in the process is actually an amazing idea. As it has been mentioned, there are many Americans who have never truly experienced any other culture outside of what they are accustomed to. For example, this was the very first time that I myself have ever tried a Mexican and Colombian empanada. Not only was it delicious, but it also made a good first impression on their project. The overall project was basically similar to Blue Apron, but for a better cause. The money that is earned will be sent to those in need of food.There would be a country of the month which would determine what type of food would be delivered to your home. Within that theme there would be four meals that would be sent to your home which fall under breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. In addition to that, there are ingredients that are listed that are provided in order for people to know what they are consuming, and if there is something that can’t be eaten, then alternatives are available. Personally, I think this is a great idea, but there are a few concerns I did have.

My first concern was certain ingredients. There may certain countries that serve “unique” dishes that other people would not be willing to try ( trust me, I don’t think many people will be wanting to try warthog anus any time soon).  People can change a few items on the menu, but there can be no significant change or else it would take away from the purpose of the program. I suppose this does make sense since the purpose is to get people to expand their boundaries, but you can’t bring in much money if people won’t want to try it. However, this does sort of prepare those who do want to travel abroad, because there are certain restaurants that won’t appreciate ingredient changes all that much. Aside from that, another concern is cost. I know that some of these ingredients can’t be cheap, especially if there are certain foods that are only in another country. However, foods here ain’t so cheap either. Prices are rising and organics were never something that was of little value. Therefore, I don’t think that $50 bucks a month would cut it. Overall, I still think that it’s a good idea with the for the dauntingly adventurous.

No comments: