Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Nirvana Review

The third group that presented came up with a website called Nirvana that I thought was a really good idea. It addressed the issues of mental health in America today and the effects that certain mental illnesses can have on a person. Nirvana was created to be sort of a “safe haven” for people dealing with stress, anxiety, depression, etc. It contained many different features, such as links to calming music, videos on how to cope with your problems, and links to different help hotlines if you felt unable to manage your problems in a safe way. Mental illness is actually a really relevant issue in today’s society because of how many people are affected by it. I actually wasn’t aware of how many people have to suffer through that, so this presentation gave me something to walk away with.
The presentation began with a discussion on anxiety and the different types of it. It then moved to stress, which if not treated properly, can lead to many health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart problems, and possibly even death. After that, they discussed a bit about autism and the people that are affected by it. They ended with facts about depression.
I really liked the design and layout of nirvana’s website. I didn’t like the moving background, I found it to be more stress-inducing than calming, which is what they were probably going for. I thought that the different tabs and types of resources that they had available on the website would be really helpful if this was actually implemented. The home page has a weekly uplifting quote, along with happy news stories and funny memes to brighten the viewer’s day. There is also calming and soothing music and relaxing games. 

Overall, I think that the Nirvana group did an excellent job of creating a solution to the problem they chose to deal with. I could really tell that the members of the group were all involved in the process of creating the website. The website could be changed in a few ways to run more smoothly and be more visually appealing, but other than those small things I think that this was one of the best presentations that was done in our class. Personally, if I was ever feeling stressed out (especially with finals week coming up, yikes) I would probably use this website as an outlet to relax and unwind.

No comments: