Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Helping Hands

I loved the idea behind the Helping Hands project. I do believe that our society gears resources for single parents towards mainly mothers. It is very beneficial for fathers to be able to seek out and find these resources that can help them tackle difficult matters as best as possible. The girls behind the project could personally attest to the importance of their website because they had single fathers who oftentimes struggle. Although I am lucky enough to have my parents be together still, I do see these struggles even though my brother. He is married with a child but faces many difficult circumstances. They live in his wifes basement with a very needy three year old girl. He struggles finding ways to bond and connect with his daughter because she is very attached to her mother. I think this website could be useful for fathers in general who are struggling to bond or have tough conversations with their children. I feel like if my brother knew that this was available, he would take advantage and do research. He has had to try different things to bond with her, which have been very stressful. There are times when she is very mean to him or will not show him any attention and this obviously hurts his feelings. This struggle with parents and children is very common and people do need help figuring out their best options.

I ultimately really thought their presentation was very well thought out. As I previously mentioned, the fact that they brought in their own personal experiences with this and struggles helps other people understand the problem they are attempting to solve. The website was clearly thought out and included many helpful examples and posts. Specifically I remember they had an article about the best ways for a father to bond with his child, which I thought was a huge and important part. The only critiquing I would do to this project is potentially adding sections for both mothers and fathers. It seems odd to me that there are websites that don’t include both, but I do believe helping both would be more beneficial. Even just implementing sections for married couples and their parenting styles and what works for them and their children  may be beneficial. Single parents who are trying to raise their children certain ways may find this more helpful than generic tips. Many newer parents try to use different methods to get their child to behave or even restrict their diet for health reasons. This website is a great idea that could potentially flourish and grow to help more and more people.

No comments: