Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

BioCan: A Solution to Global Warming


First off, I want to start by saying that I really like this project.  I think the BioCan is a great idea and it deals with an issue that I didn't even think of as being solvable.  I like how your group was able to come up with a plausible solution to such a large scale problem.  I think the idea of BioCan would be a very useful addition to society, based on the idea that our habits as humans as far as trash goes, is ruining the environment and if we stay on the same path we are now, the Earth will continue to fall apart. 

With that being said, I think the unanswered question is still that of if this is such a good idea and it is so easy, why hasn't it been done already?  Is it realy just the engineering struggle of building something that large, or is there a deeper issue at hand.  One of my biggest concerns with this idea is the possibility of there being a containment breach.  I realize that you have safety systems in place, but I wonder if the danger of that even being a possibility is the reason it has yet to be done on a smaller scale.  If these bacteria are able to degrade items and produce energy I wonder what would happen if there was a large breach.  I realize that they die in oxygen, but I would be concerned that they would reproduce so fast that there would always be some surviving that would just start degrading things.

Another possibility of a breach of bacteria is the harm it could do to the environment, instead of helping the environment like it was designed to do, could the bacteria potentially harm the environment more than we already have?  I just wonder if there are too many risks to producing the BioCan and that is why it has not been done at this point.

As I said I really like this idea and if it is possible and there is a minimal risk to society as far as containment, then I definitely think this should be looked at further.  On the other hand, I do think a deeper look should be taken as to why it has not been done on such a large scale already, and if there could be serious implications on the environment or society if there were a breach of bacteria from the cans.

No comments: