Pages

Friday, April 29, 2016

Voting Made Easy

     I am all for using the app Vote USA. There are many reasons why it can be a positive investment for our country. Millions of people miss out on the opportunity and privilege to vote every election due to various legitimate reasons or lame excuses. For example, I was unable to vote back in the Primaries back in February due to lack of transportation and time. If this app had been available, I would have been able to cast my vote from the comfort and safety of my room for the politician of my choice and get them one step closer to the main election that will be happening this November. Since this was not available, I was stuck in my dorm room without my voice being heard. I cannot be the only person who had an issue that prevented them from getting to the polls. In fact, there were millions of people who were registered but did not vote. Think about that, millions of unheard voices. Some may have chosen not to speak, but the rest were prevented from having the right to vote just because they could not get to the polling booths. The 2012 election could have been changed drastically if those millions of registered voters had been able to get to the polls. This is why I strongly approve and support the potential production of the app Vote USA.
     There is going to be opposition for this app due to security reasons, but, just as the presenters said in my class, we already take that risk everyday by making online purchases without credit cards. Since this app would determine the fate of our country, I believe the government would be very involved with its security measures. It would be a huge embarrassment to the US Government if they were to be hacked. Another reason people would be opposed to this investment would be because of their distrust in technology. There are thousands, probably millions, of people that refuse to use any of the new technology-for example Smartphones, laptops, internet, etc.-because it is not what they grew up with and/or it is "witchcraft" to them. A possible way to solve this predicament is to make the app mandatory after a few elections so people may get a feel for the app. The presenters suggested 20 years after the app's first introduction. By that time, most, if not all, of the older generations who are unable to adapt will be deceased. I personally believe it should be between two to four presidential elections. By then, everyone will know about it and probably will be using it. If we can achieve that, we can dispose of the unreliable, cumbersome polling machines as well as save money by not having to hire people to upkeep, man, and transport those obnoxious machines.
     I support Vote USA. Do you?

No comments: