Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Thoughts of C.H.A.T.

C.H.A.T or better known as the College Highlights Assault Today project was a really great idea to me. I can honestly say that I can see this app coming into play in real life. I love the idea of it being college based and focus on a specific college area that a student attend. I find it helpful that it is an app that students connect to through their student email. This kind of makes it mandatory and necessary to have this app while attending the college.
During the presentation I notice that the group explained about what is rape and what is consent. At first I was like this is something that every student should know by now but then I found it helpful to reassure the audience. I especially like the consent video that was used to explain consent more. The video gave the audience humor while explaining tea as sex for consent.  I also like the idea that it connects with other colleges. It gives you different information on statistics of rape, counselors you can talk to and campus security on that specific campus. Being aware of this is important and I think that made that very clear but the one question that I had is why isn’t the police the first thing to reference when rape occurs. I noticed that on the app site, they made the option to call 911 the last option. If rape was to occur at that moment a student should be able to have the police the first option rather than the last. It should be stressed that when this crime happen that the victim should go to the police. This would help solving the problem of rapists actually getting away with their crimes.
I understand that this could be used as an app for victims after they have been rape, but I think it should also connect to victims once in occurrence. One thing that I would like to also add is since students who go to a specific college have access to the app, it should have alerts going out when something happens on campus. For example, if someone was to get assaulted in a certain area on campus, the app should send alerts on that spot on campus. This would raise awareness and help students understand beware of what is going on in their college campus.  In all, I think that this was a great project that connects the awareness of college students and assault.


 

No comments: