Pages

Friday, April 15, 2016

Romantic relationship in the digital world.

After watching Catfish, the moral lesson behind the story is that exist two types of individual’s behavior: the real vs unreal individual. We all act or behave differently when it comes to work, family and friends. Consequently, the same happens when it comes to social media. According to this film, the social media gives us access to create fictional characters in order to portrait ourselves differently of whom we are in real life. Whether we like it or not, social media is the perfect tool to advertise ourselves and sometimes even manipulate those who surround us by making them believe our “personal life and experience” in social media. Certainly, the main character Nev was unsuspicious of what was really going on. He completely fell into the predator trap. Even thou all this took place back in 2008, when fb was probably not as much sophisticated as it’s today, someone on the other side of Nev fb was orchestrating a whole new level of social media scam. Just to think that someone had the enormous amount of free time to orchestrate all this is what really got me intrigued and his or her purpose behind it. On the other hand, we have Nev a young good looking guy who was deeply involved in his film career. Therefore, Nev barely had time left for himself and there was this wonderful opportunity to chat with this good looking girl at a click away that he met thanks to Abby’s paintings. Sadly, it seems that all the ingredients were at the right place and time. Even though Angela main purpose was to get her paintings notice in the art industry, this still doesn’t give her the right to play with someone’s feeling simply because you are not happy with your current or real life. There are three things that really bothered me. The first one was the endless lies. She was constantly lying, lying to herself, to her family and even her husband. Secondly, was the fact that she was cheating on her husband without him knowing. Those countless messages about her fantasies with Nev. Since there was no sexual contact between them, still consider cheating. With Angela being married, the simple fact that she fantasizes with someone else other than her husband can definitely make her guilty. In addition, there are thousands of messages that involved her. Last but not least, the fact that she involves her own daughter into the scam. What type of mother would do that????  Probably a mother that have mental issues definitely. After watching the first part of the movie, I decided to look for interviews on Youtube. Great was my surprise when I found an interview to Angela made by the ABC news. Along the interview, Angela admitted that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia which explains her abnormal behavior.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand how you may feel about the film and the lies that were told by Angela to Nev. Personally, I thought that Angela had feelings toward Nev in the film and used the profile the get closer to him. I also feel that her husband knew about the fake profiles because he was the one who described what a "catfish" is. Regardless of the fact, Angela's actions are not right and could have handled differently.

Unknown said...

I agree with the ideas you have expressed here. Angela definitely does have many problems with the irresponsible actions she has done. When I watched the movie, it seemed as if she struggled with many social, mental, and emotional problems. She did have a lot of time on her hands, enough time to find help for the problems she was experiencing. I agree with the idea of her cheating with her husband b sharing those personal situation with Nev,to me, feels like a breach in productivity of a relationship. Also, I wouldn't be surprised that Angela was diagnosed with schizophrenia, she made many different accounts to all fuel and upkeep this life of Megan, that was fake.

Unknown said...

The "real individual" is composed of many emotions and behaviors. It is our setting that interprets how we may behave. If I placed the same person in two distinct settings that provoke different behaviors, which person is the "real individual"? I agree with your point to an extent, we just have to address all perspectives in order to make an audacious claim. I also agree with your point about Angela cheating on her husband. I am not sure if I can justify her actions, but she was obviously misleading Nev and using him.

Unknown said...

The "real individual" is composed of many emotions and behaviors. It is our setting that interprets how we may behave. If I placed the same person in two distinct settings that provoke different behaviors, which person is the "real individual"? I agree with your point to an extent, we just have to address all perspectives in order to make an audacious claim. I also agree with your point about Angela cheating on her husband. I am not sure if I can justify her actions, but she was obviously misleading Nev and using him.

Unknown said...

Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via; ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call him on Whatsapp: +2348104102662