Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Helping Women Through Rape

First of all, I believe this presentation was a great idea and a great solution to such a horrible problem that is very prevalent in our society. In this world, I feel like sometimes rape and sexual assault can be overlooked because so many people do not speak up about it and that causes even more of a problem. I liked the idea of trying to reach out to women especially because they are the ones most targeted, but I also feel like because there is a section on the website that was just a way to talk anonymously, you never know who could be on there. It kind of reminds me of the cat fishing video. If people are on there talking to each other but did not know who it was, then a rapist could easily have access to vulnerable women. They may think that they are "helping" them through a situation and then suggest meeting in person and it would just lead them into another horrible situation. This definitely is not something that would happen all the time, but it is definitely a possibility that the company should be aware of. You mentioned that it would be monitored, but how would you be able to stop that from happening? I like the idea of having different websites specifically for women, men, and children because it is a good way to relate to other people that are in similar situations or are like yourself in a way. I felt like the statistics focused mainly on rape, but I know the website and app helped both victims of rape and sexual assault. That would have been one suggestion would be to just have put more facts in there about other types of assaults. As I looked at your presentation again in more detail, I looked at the part where you compared your website to other types of similar sites and I think that was a smart idea. The other website focus on all types of assault so I feel like since you did focus a lot on rape, you could have made your app specifically for rape, but I still think it is a good idea to open it up to all victims. When you first started your presentation, I thought it was going to be very similar to the other websites like RAINN and MESA, but when I saw that slide that explained the differences, I realized that it was similar, but not exact and that your company had different ideas to offer. Overall, I think it was a great presentation and if it were a real website/app, it would help many victims of sexual assault.

No comments: