Pages

Friday, April 29, 2016

Stay Connected

On Friday, there was a group presentation on what I believe to be a very under-addressed issue facing college students, especially those who attend Christian Brothers University, being tracking one’s grades, attendance, and classes. I personally have walked all the way to a class only to find a note on the door saying that this class was cancelled without even receiving so much as an email. This is incredibly irritating and a waste of time. Also, during the semester, many teachers do not take the time to record and post all the grades one receives in a class, making it difficult for students to keep tabs on where they stand in certain classes, including the number of classes one has missed. There is definitely a need for an application that can provide a solution to all of these issues that arise every school year.
               I personally fully support the suggested application Course Connect that was presented on Friday. I would download and use this application and I know many other students who would without a doubt download and use it as well. With the cooperation of the Christian Brothers University administration and faculty, I feel this application could be brought to life and used by the majority of the students who attend here. The costs of creating and running this application would without a doubt be infinitesimal compared to the impact if could potentially have on the fluidity of the academic environment of this university.
               On a side note, I think some professors could put more effort into posting grades as well as class cancellations. I have no problem with professors cancelling class, I would just appreciate some forewarning. However, I do understand that there are emergencies that come up last minute. It would be exponentially useful for many professors to post grades on a regular basis as well. This will help prevent email floods around midterms and finals, as well as cut down on lengthy office visit, giving more time to both students and professors.

               Overall, I’m very into this idea. I think if we conceptualize this application in the near future for Christian Brothers University it will be put to use immediately by many students in need of a little bit of organization in their academic lives. I can personally say I would be one of the first ones to download and use this application. I hope to see this idea put to good use. 

No comments: