Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Walkin' in Memphis: Hotspot for the Homeless

Hotspot for the Homeless is a great idea, and I felt it applied to the Memphis area. It's a common occurrence in midtown and downtown to see someone holding a sign or pushing a grocery cart full of their belongings. It's so common that I think most Memphians have become desensitized to seeing someone struggling to find their next meal or somewhere warm to sleep. That's one reason why I think an idea like Hotspot is so important. Not only does it serve the homeless, but it also puts a spotlight on the issue of homelessness.

I am thankful because I don't have to worry about surviving, but the homeless population does. Hotspots can help relieve some of that pressure. I absolutely hate being cold, so I can't imagine how it feels to have no escape from the chill of winter. Although there are homeless shelters, there will never be enough beds or money to take in all homeless people. Hotspots solve that problem; they're less expensive than building a shelter, and there's no need for a staff to run it. I also think the solar panels and the clean energy they provide are another bonus of this invention. Hotspots' are cost-efficient, which would make cities more likely to invest in them. I also appreciated the fact that Hotspots encourage people to get more involved in policy making. For Hotspots to be installed, laws about sitting or lying down in public would have to change in many cities. People would have to come together and petition for the changes. 

A possible problem with Hotspots that was brought up in class was safety. I don't think this would be as much of a problem as people would expect. It might be wrong, but police tend to gravitate towards areas where homeless people are known to camp out or panhandle. I think Hotspots would generate enough police attention that they'd be safe enough. Someone also mentioned that in order for the heat to be felt fifty feet away from the Hotspot, the Hotspot itself would be extremely hot. I think tweaking the design by adding fans to disperse the heat would remedy this problem. 

Some people mistake homelessness for laziness or think that someone is homeless because of their life choices. But this is untrue and unfair. Sometimes, life happens when you least expect it. One day you have a house and enough food for you're entire family; the next, you don't. I love that this group pushed back against stereotypes and addressed homelessness with compassion and respect. So, here's to you guys...

No comments: