Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Boycotting

When I was presented with this idea of boycotting certain companies, such as Hershey's and beauty products, I was thinking, "You have got to be kidding me..." But as the presentation went on, I decided to not be completely close-minded yet. The pitch is, this company called Boycott Connect is going to inform consumers of companies that use certain secret practices. These include child labor, pollution, and animal testing. While this seems like a good plan, I do a few concerns.

First, the popularity. Protesters do not have the greatest track record. With the law, they are seen as delinquents. With the media and, quite frankly, in reality, they are seen as downright annoying. People who look on a website that boycotts certain companies might see Boycott Connect as just another group of tree huggers and not give a second look. A suggestion of mine is to make the company and website unique. Give people a reason why they should boycott these companies, because it's going to take a heap of persuasion to give up something you love to partake in. For example, I LOVE the Ringling Bros. So, sometime last year, I decided to go to to the circus. As I pulled up to the Lander's Center, there were protesters telling me that the circus abuses the elephants and whatnot. I'm just in the car like, "Can we not?" Now, I believe in standing up to what you believe in, but being all in someone's face about it is highly annoying, and I personally think it is disrespectful to do it where the event is being held. This goes on to my next point. 

Second, KNOW YOUR BOUNDARIES. Why do protesters decide to protest at the actual places? Like at the circus, abortion clinics, THE CIVIL RIGHTS MUSEUM?? I was literally walking outside of the civil rights museum and this woman had a whole table set up saying obscenities about Martin Luther King Jr. Do protesters know how weird that is? I sometimes wonder how many minds they change because they usually protest everyday. Hopefully, this company won't send people to the makeup department of the mall and have them throw up signs of bunnies wearing lipstick. Let's be honest, protesters like that makes things awkward and uncomfortable. But I digress.
 
Overall, Boycott Connect seems like a very effective plan. As long as they don't become your average boy cotters, they should do fine.

No comments: