Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Hot Spot for the Homeless



Wow.  That word is my reaction to this project.  I think this group did a great job of finding a solution, be it a temporary one, to such a large scale issue.  This is one of my favorite ideas I have seen so far.  I really like the fact that this group chose to help the homeless; I might be slightly biased since my group also chose to help the homeless, but that is besides the point.  I think this invention is great because I could potentially see it becoming a reality. 

Scientifically, I do not see many flaws with how the Hot Spot is run. I think using solar energy to run it is a great idea, and I think the fact that it will not use as much of the city's energy is a great positive that can be used to persuade legislators.  Really, the only things I would change about the Hot Spot is some of the design itself.  I like Dr. J's idea of there being a fan that circulates the heat because I think that will help get the heat to further distances.  I also like the idea of a wider base for seating.  The biggest flaw I see as far as the actual invention itself is the fact that the heat will be concentrated in a certain place and radiate from there.  The only thing I am concerned about is someone becoming overheated or being burned from the concentrated heat. Just something to think about.

Where I think this idea would run into the most trouble is with the legislators.  I think the hardest part about putting this idea into effect would be to get the legislators to change the laws that make it illegal for people to sleep or camp out in public.  While there is a necessity to change these laws to help protect the homeless, I unfortunately do not see how these laws will get changed because there are so many people who simply do not like homeless people for one reason or another.  I think when the laws try to get changed, there will be a push-back from the community to not change them because they do not want homeless people hanging around the community.

Overall, I think this idea is great and I love the concept of helping the homeless during the winter.  I just think there are some flaws as far as getting it okayed by legislation and the community.  You would have to come up with some pretty convincing arguments to get the laws in place now changed, and I think that will be your biggest struggle.



No comments: