Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Babyl/On Point

I think that part of what made this project so interesting, as a viewer, was the problem this group chose to solve. I think that a lot of the other projects aimed to fix fairly broad issues, which is a good thing, but I think that this group chose a very specific problem. Furthermore, I think that the problem they chose was very specific to CBU. As I'm sure everyone has noticed, our school has a very large ESL population. There are at least 1-5 ESL students in every class I am taking this semester. I know that a lot of students who speak English as a first language try to help ESL students through tutoring and study groups, but there is still a language barrier that can make it difficult to help. I think the idea of bettering education for ESL students without the need of other people is wonderful. Not only is it helpful because of the language barrier, but it could also potentially relieve the anxiety of having to ask for help. Having to  ask other people, even peers, for help can be extremely nerve-wracking for some students. Being able to study and learn on your own can make life easier and make you feel more empowered and in control of your life.
Additionally, I think that the presentation for this project was one of the best I saw. When they demonstrated the technological aspects of the app/device, like how it would work from the inside and how it would be safe, I was simply in awe. As someone who doesn't really understand how technology works, I found this really impressive and helpful to the audience. I also appreciated it because no other group really went into that kind of detail about how the app would work from the inside. Overall, it was just a very impressive presentation. I would argue that this group could sell RNA to a ribosome.
Another reason I liked this project was because I think it correlated with my group project, as they both tackled education problems. If both of our projects were ever created in real life, I think that the two companies would partner well together. We mentioned that with our tablet, if users pressed the text they were reading, they could see a translation on the screen in another language. However, if PrepMe and Babyl/OFF worked together, maybe the translation part of the app could come from the Babyl/OFF earpiece instead. Clearly, both groups care about the education gap- maybe just in different ways.

No comments: