Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2016

PABS and Tootees

     Out of all of the presentations presented, I found that I was most interested in P.A.B.S and Tooters.  PABS really opened my eyes to the unfortunate frequency of teenage suicide in our middle and high schools.  Over my years, as a student, I remember hearing about people committing suicide but it never occurred to me that it was more than normal.  I have always had the outlook that suicide is a sin that you cannot ask for forgiveness for, therefor I have always looked down on those who take that action. While I looked down on it, I never thought about what those people went through to make them even consider it.  As Kami said during her presentation, we have all thought about some kind of bodily harm, only difference is some follow through while others do not.  The things that cause us to have these thoughts, in my opinion, are never as bad as we may think at that time.  The best quote from their presentation is that suicide is a permanent fix to a temporary problem, which is so true.
     With the presentation Tooters, I support their cause one hundred percent.  I'm so grateful that I was a student of the last class that was able to escape the Common Core testing within my graduating high school.  I did get a taste of what was to come in a math class of mine.  I was taking precal. and my teacher gave us a worksheet with word problems and we were to explain how we came to our answers in sentences instead of the actual math work.  It was so stupid to me to have to explain my math in english.  Outside of Common Core testing, I would have definitely used the Tooters app to help me with taking the ACT test.  I could not save my life and obtain a 20 in the mathematics portion.  I had been taking the ACT test since the sixth grade and still could not get higher than a 19.  (sheds tear) But this app can be a miraculous tool for upcoming generations, because those babies are in for it.  I have a four year old brother who has not made it to kindergarten just yet but I am so glad that he is in a private school pre-k program because he might be able to get what other four year olds cannot at a daycare.   I just hope this tooters app is either recreated, or better yet, sold to a company to push through with the idea and make it known so that I may download it for him and have peace of mind that there are people who still care about him learning instead of teaching him tests. 

No comments: