Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Couture Essentials (feat. Stop R' Shop) : Innovative, Admirable, Fashionable

Couture Essentials may very well be the best idea I have heard all year. As a tree-hugger and lover of non-human organisms, who do not have a voice of their own, making the earth a little less cluttered and polluted is important to me.  I am also someone who loves fashion, so I found this doubly interesting.

I remember having to do a project in the seventh grade about recycling, pollution, landfills and the percentages of recyclable materials that ended up in landfills, or worse, in oceans and other bodies of water for aquatic animals to get stuck in or die from trying to consume the trash. The following year I had another project about how such pollution was causing irreversible damage to our aquifers, where clean, pure water is extracted from beneath the earth. Though I always felt that this information was important to know, I always felt so helpless and never seemed to find any realistic explanations for combating land and water pollution. Years later, I think that Couture Essentials may be the answer that I had been longing for all this time.

The part of this program that I liked the most was that it allows people to bring in their own “junk” to have it revitalized and made into something new. I have seen websites similar to this, but they were incredibly expensive, due to the use of new, raw materials and they did not provide the donors with ways to alter or actually make their own creations, as Couture Essentials does. I can definitely see myself taking in some plastic and turning it into one of those clear rainbow jackets that I’m too broke to pay the shipping prices for, or even bringing in old books that I no longer want and creating a book shelf or some other eccentric décor for my room, like they have in Burke’s Books.



Not only do the products made from Couture Essentials allow users to turn trash into fashion, but they also provide an alternative to products made from child and slave labour, which was discussed in Stop R’ Shop. One of the solutions for the latter project was to wear and buy clothes that are already in circulation from thrift shops, rather than supporting such a heinous culture by buying new products from the stores themselves.

As a side note I found the actual presentation to be very convincing and creative, what with the plastic bag skirt. Great project, great product.  

No comments: