Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Calnter Pros and Cons

After listening to Calnter's group presentation, I think this idea can do a lot of good and can cause a lot of unease in the community. Calnter hopes that by keeping track of our fast-food calories and discouraging overeating, people will become more health conscious and develop hopefully a lifestyle change in response to their own overeating. I like the spirit of this project. We all know fast-food is not the healthiest choice, it is just fast, cheap, and good in a pinch. As Calnter explained very nicely with detailed statistics, obesity is on the rise with fast-food not adding any positive things to the statistics. Although with good intentions, this Calnter method seems to be unlikely to take hold for two reasons.
The first reason it may not stick is that it would be almost impossible for fast-food restaurants to accept a machine that deters people from eating there. Sure it would be nice if one restaurant put the health of their customers before profit but that seems really unlikely. Therefore, the only way to make this possible would be through the government mandating Calnter to be installed in restaurants. And even that seems unlikely to me. There would too many reasons not to fund Calnter than to fund it such as cost, press, and actual effectiveness.
The second reason is that Calnter is more like a deterrent rather than a consequence so I do not see people actually listening to the advice to stop eating. If I am driving between work and school and I only have a twenty-minute window to eat, I am still going to eat fast-food between, even if I have reached my limit for the week. I need the food so I do not care. I can imagine too many people ignoring the benefits of Calnter because their lives are so fast paced that they cannot afford to eat anything else due to time and/or money.
Even though I have criticized Calnter more than praised it, I still think the idea is a valid idea. Anything to stop overeating, obesity, and unhealthy calorie consumption is a good thing, even if there are ways to get around that system. My suggestions to the Calnter group other than the funding issues, would be to offer more incentives to eat less fast-food as the group mentioned in the presentation such as grocery store discounts and discounts to gyms. I believe that is a great way to keep the positivity revolving around Calnter rather than keeping a dark cloud of gloom associated with unhealthy eating. This way it pays to be healthy.

No comments: