Pages

Friday, December 2, 2016

Thoughts on Finding My Place

I love love love this idea. I am a sucker for almost every time I pass a homeless person on the streets I either give them whatever food or drinks I have in the car or I go out of my way to get them something. Much like Dr. J, I started with about 5 of those homeless bags we were allowed to pick up in the caf and gave them all away. Now I make my own to hand out. I include pretzels, water, crackers, deodorant, tooth brush, tooth paste, socks, and a couple other lose end things.

I think this kiosk is a great idea! It would benefit the homeless, help them get off the streets, and give them a meal or two they will not have to stress out about.

One really easy change is the bags they receive. I know we mentioned this in class. Instead of them receiving a blanket, first aid kid, etc. every single time.. I would for sure put a bottle of water and a couple kind of snacks.

The cost is a little bit of a concern. These would not be cheap. But, I do not think it would be hard at all to promote these. I think businesses, restaurants, and even famous people would donate to build one. This kiosk could possibly save lives. The screen would not need to be all LED, just one little square big enough to put a hand print. Which would save on the cost for sure. I do not think getting donations would be hard. If most churches promoted them, it was an option after you swipe your card, or you could sign up to give five dollars a month.. it would go a long way. In todays world everybody uses plastic. Just sticking to credit and debit cards and staying away from cash is a great idea when thinking of security.

I do still have a question about the vouchers. Will shelters freely give the kiosk these vouchers? Or will the people's money be paying for their night stay. Ya'll might have already thought about this but what if a restaurant decided to pair with this kiosk and they gave their daily leftovers to the shelters and in return they got a certain number of free vouchers they can put in the kiosk?

We discussed a lot of different little fixes we can add to this kiosk, but over all this was well thought out! The powerpoint looked great and the actual kiosk was very cool! Great idea! I would donate :)

No comments: