Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Deviants R Us Evaluation

The group who presented Deviants R Us did a great job presenting this issue. When first presenting I had negative thoughts about the groups simply because I found some groups to be "weird" or "uncool." When I saw the video of the news reporters making fun of the "Furries" I immediately realized how wrong it was and that I had been doing the same thing all along. I think that a lot of these people don't see themselves as "weird," so to them what they enjoy is just like what everyone else enjoys. This project helped me recognized how cruel i was being, and I think that it is an excellent idea to help people who are in these subcultures have a space where they can communicate and see that they aren't strange for liking something that others might not find normal. I liked how they presented the problem and got us to make our own judgments and then they showed the news reporters because it really made me understand that it is an issue and people treat it as a joke. No one was focused on the attacks, they were just focused on the groups themselves and laughed at them because they had different interests. You don't see people who attend sporting events or anything of that nature being attacked simply because they enjoy sports. I think this group took an issue that most people would laugh at and made it a real issue that needs to be worked on. 

One thing I would make sure to do is add something that shows users what you allow and don't allow on the app. Like if there was a group who wanted to be on the app but also the groups purpose was harmful to others, then you would have a statement showing why you don't allow them being on the app. 

Overall, I liked the originality of the project and I thought that it was presented well. Great Job!

No comments: