Pages

Friday, April 28, 2017

Peer review for ADAPT presentation

To begin with, this group and their work deserves a lot of respect. To address such a sensitive topic in front of college students is not an easy task by any means, and I am very glad they decided to do this because it does effect a lot more people than we think.

As they began their presentation, I was a little bit confused on what their actually project was about. I understood the fact that they were trying to address Anxiety, Depression and Suicidal young adults - because that is what they mentioned at the beginning - but I was very unsure of what their actual "solution" to the problem was going to be. As they went through the statistics, I ultimately knew a lot of them because I have done research on this topic as well, so I was a bit hungry for more in that aspect of the presentation. Also, their video and statistics took of the majority of their 18 minute presentation, so I felt a few things were lacking.

As far as the video goes, I thought it addressed the whole situation very well. I liked how they showed it at the beginning too, and how it drew our emotions to the surface right from the start. After showing us all of their numbers for the causes and what not, I was a bit disappointed to realize that all they had created for these individuals struggling was a website that in reality was basically like a depression blog. I can understand the fact that suicidal teens do not always want to talk to a professional about how they feel and what they are going through; however, what makes us think they will want to talk to other depressed teens?

As a whole, I believe the topic they picked was very difficult to find a solution too, so I want to give them fair amount of credit because the idea is good. What I might suggest for the future is that they add more too it. Yes, they had a website and app but they were basically the same thing and served the same purpose. In my opinion, I just do not think that suicidal or depressed teens will want to blog about how they feel and let those emotions out to total strangers on the internet. It is already a dangerous cyber-world out there, I just think we need to be preventing that not putting more risk where it is not needed.

No comments: