Pages

Friday, April 28, 2017

Welcome Home

The Welcome Home Project is a much needed project for homeless people. I see a lot of homeless people, but I know that giving them money isn't really going to solve a deep rooted problem. I think that homeless people need guidance to help them get on their feet. I like all of the features of Welcome Home. For example, I appreciate how the project gives homeless people a permanent address, so they can get jobs. It gives homeless people stability and the ability to make money for themselves. In addition, I like how the organization connects with jobs to give to homeless people. Most people are pretty wary of homeless people, but having these houses can disperse these stereotypes. In turn, it makes people more receptacle to help them and help the project thrive.

However, I do think that if Welcome Home Project is implemented, it should be more widespread. There are many fascinating places that are hotspots for jobs. If it was more widespread, it wouldn't be as much competition, and they don't have to travel far distances for jobs. Furthermore, I think one month is too little. I don't think that one month is enough for homeless people to get off of their feet and obtain enough money. I  also think that the owners of Welcome Home need to combine with community colleges and help homeless people that dropped out get degrees and help their jobs.

In addition, I have a few questions. How will a multiple children household fit in the houses you provide? I understand that having 3 or less children is okay, but what about 4+ children household? Will resources be so scarce that the families won't be able to stay, or will they have to cram in the houses. Also, what about people with serious offenses? For example, crimes like robbery or assault? Do you not accept those people because they may bring a bad reputation? What would you do with people who have a recovering addiction, experienced abuse, or have a mental issue? Would you not accept those people and refer them to other people who might be able to manage them. This is an extensive organization, but everybody has a different story. Some people don't need to be on their own or need more guidance than others. If you accept all these people, would you try to come in contact with counselors to help them, or would that be out of budget?

No comments: