Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Politigo Review

I am reviewing the final group project of Politigo. Politigo was an app aimed towards young people or anyone that wants to know more about the political system. The app has profiles of each candidate and where they stand on important political topics such as gay marriage, gun control, marijuana, and other topics. Then, they had a quiz that you could take to show who you side with. It had you answer a series of questions on certain political topics on how much you side with certain things. The quiz would then tell you your results and who you agree with the most according to their political stance. The results would show in what areas you agree with that person. Lastly, they had an unbiased media source on the app. This is an automatically updated media source that uses algorithms to filter out biased articles. These articles, videos, and news segments are related to current political issues and information about parties and candidates. Their goal with the app was to inform people about the political system and to help people know who they are voting for without the biases of normal media. The group elaborated that this app could be used in local elections as well which I think is necessary. I feel that with the election of the president, there is so much media on the candidates that you feel you know almost everything about them. However, when it comes to local elections, such as mayor, the people are not as informed on who they are voting for.

If I could change anything about the project I probably would get rid of the website. I felt that it was unnecessary. Also, I was a little unsure how they could get totally unbiased information. If a human creates the algorithm they are still biased because each person is, I feel. However, this was my only skepticism. I felt that this project was very thought out and necessary in today's society. I agree that most people are uneducated when it comes to the political system. I know I am. I do not understand the language they use and I don't understand why they have to go at each other's throats in order to get ahead. I heard something from the last election that President Trump was getting to a majority of his voters because he was using about a 3rd-6th grade level of speaking. I feel that this is one of the reasons he gained his following because Hillary Clinton was speaking in a more sophisticated manner. I feel that this app is necessary to help people to understand the language of politicians. They use words to avoid things and this allows a distrust to occur. I feel that this app will help those understand who they are voting for and allow those to make the right decision on their beliefs.

No comments: