Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Welcome Home 😄

Welcome Home may have been one of my favorites. All because, everyday I drive I witness a homeless family or individual and I always feel bad for them and wish I could help. I try to help them when I can but I feel bad when I can't. Personally, I don't like to give homeless people money but that's just me listening to stereotypes which I should vear away from but that takes time because I've always done it. The  group brought attention to the fact that the homeless are just people like us who fell on hard times and just need a fresh start. The idea of giving these individuals and families the foundation they need to regain their own security and confidence is all any person can ask for. As we stated in class an extension on how long they can stay is suggested because it takes at least a week before getting an interview and at least 3 weeks before the first paycheck. So a month in entirely too short for them to be back on their feet. And an extended time period helps because it gets them out of the habit of always having to pack up and leave. Because most shelter, you stay one night, pack up and leave in the morning and wait in line to get another spot for the next night. Welcome home helps give them security to know they'll have good, shelter, a shower, and a good night's rest. And the resources they need to get a job and can focus solely on getting a job rather than missing a late interview because they have to get across time to get into the shelter in time to sleep in a bed rather than in the streets. Welcome home would be an organization I wouldn't mind volunteering my time to. It was presented well, I have a few suggestions about time period for staying but that's all I have no objections or concerns. This is an idea I support and would be excited to be a part of if given the opportunity. The originality of this is what impressed me. There are organizations that give homeless temporary homes or soup kitchens that feed them. But personally I have yet to see something that can give them confidence, security, and a great shot at a new beginning or a chance at their old lives.



No comments: