Pages

Friday, April 28, 2017

Cohesion Review

Cohesion was a very interesting project. Its purpose was to be a one stop place for everything that is going on campus. It is supposed to help with campus wide events, sports events, and event features a photo album and "Wall", in which things can be posted. It was a social media app just for CBU students.  It was supposed to solve the problem of, making friends on campus less intimidating; therefore reducing the amount of students that transfer from a 4 year university to a 2 year university. The Wall had sections such as : advice, teachers, class help, social and shopping. It even had a section where you could sell things such as unwanted books and schools supplies and maybe even apparel.

At first I thought there were many flaws in this idea. I thought, first of all, how are they going to convince the majority of the students to download this app? We are already flooded with notifications from Instagram and Snapchat. Do we really need to add one more to the list? And why talk on the wall when you can just talk through your group messages to ask for advice, teacher recommendations and even social events. Its just seemed a bit redundant. All this app was, was a conjunction of all other apps we already have.We also have events emailed to us in the Connection but, the presenters had a good point when they said that not everyone checks their email.The began to garner my attention when they even said that this app could provide a push notification for things like a canceled class, which is a genius idea.

I then began to realize that this app could actually really help get the word around since we really are always on our phones checking our social media. I also realized that this could help strengthen CBU as a community. Not just commuters and residents but everyone as a whole. Although it is a good idea, I just think that a big problems after developing this app would be to actually get people to download this app. For example, when I first came to freshman orientation, I was told to download the app GroupMe and I asked if I HAD TO, and they replied yes, I was annoyed that I had to download an app just for school and later ended up deleting it(although I did end up downloading it again due to the fact that all the groups on campus using group me).A prime example of this would be the BUCs Treasure app, of which many downloaded, but later deleted. How will the app keep its audience engaged enough to keep it on their phones?but it is still a very good idea.

The C Board idea is also very smart. I could not refute any of the points made. It would be so smart and more efficient to just have a touch screen board around campus for the map and even campus events. The only problem would be funding and the maintenance of the board.

No comments: