Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Sustain Our Society Review

I will be reviewing the Sustain Our Society, or SOS, app. This was my favorite project of all of the projects we saw in class. I thought that it was a brilliant app with a lot of potential. This app is something that is so simple that can create a big impact. Their app consisted of different categories that helped you decrease your carbon footprint. They had an option to connect your lights to the app. Here you can turn off your lights if you are not at home or if you are home and not in the room, the app can send you a reminder to turn off the lights. They had the option to install a breaker that would turn off everything to make your house completely dark when you are not there to save energy. Then there is another section that helps you learn how to garden. This was my favorite part of the app. I have always wanted to learn how to garden and have my own produce in my back yard. This part of the app gives you tips on how to keep a garden and you can have reminders set to help you keep up with it. Another part of the app is the grocery tab. Here you can put in your list and it will give you products that won't go bad as soon. Also, you can scan the products bar code and have the expiration date stored. This allows you to not waste food. The app can set reminders to let you know if an item is about to go bad so you can use it. This was another favorite part of mine. I hate wasting food so I think that this feature is awesome. The app also has a feature that you can link up with your car. This feature allows you to take the route you need with the least amount of gas used. Also, it will tell you at what speed to go in order to maximize your mileage and not let gas be used up too fast. I like this feature because it lets people know that getting there faster is actually doing more harm to the environment. I, personally, drive super fast. This brought me to reality that I am using more gas by going faster and that I am giving off more carbon dioxide than necessary. Lastly, they have a social media page within the app. Here people can blog about what they did and inspire people to make changes in their lifestyle to save the planet. One of the cool things about this company is that they have a rewards program. If you enter what you do into the app, the things add up. Once you reach a milestone like "you added 30 seconds to the life of Earth" you can receive a packet of seeds or a free Uber ride. I think that this is really cool. It gives people the incentive to want to save the planet. I probably wouldn't change anything in this project. It was well thought out and was very thorough.

No comments: