Pages

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Homeless Project Review

     The idea of decreasing the amount of homeless people there are seem so optimistic that, at first, I thought it was extremely unrealistic. However, as I continued to listen to and see their presentation, I loved the idea. It was a great approach. Honestly, even if it wasn't realistic, it was worth the effort. To me, any act such as theirs, that sees need and creates a plan of action to help those in need, is worth attention and effort.
     Their program would, theoretically, give a source of stability to homeless families and individuals. I come from a background where I've never been homeless, per-say, but i haven't always had the sense of "home" and stability as I do now so I connected with this project a lot. It means everything to give a child a place to call home even if it's only for a few months. Their foundation is an insanely positive one that, in my opinion, should actually some-how come to reality. It's a necessity.
     Though it was an awfully positive idea, like many ideas in the beginning, there were a few things that could be tweaked to make it better. Fr example, instead of the residents only being allowed to stay for one month, it should be three months. Three months would give them enough time to job-search, home-search, and get their first few checks. Also, I don't think that adults that don't apply to the program with families should be allowed a single-home. Single, compatible adults should be roommates so the most people can be removed from the streets as possible. The questionnaire was also a bit of a problem that came up in class. In my opinion, it should be more extensive and not as direct as the one question addressing drug addiction.
     Back to my main point, the service being performed in order to help homeless people is great. The thoughtfulness and generosity behind it is stunning. The program would give them a sense of responsibility and treat them as actual functional citizens instead of charity cases. I really, really liked this project.

No comments: